Saturday, 3 November 2012

Book Review 2 - The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han


Ever since she was young, Isabel “Belly” Conklin has always spent her summers with the same two boys, Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher. Through her preteen years, Belly carried around a helpless crush on the older, brooding, abysmal brother, Conrad. Now, several Conrad-obsessed years later, Belly is set and overly tenacious on making this the summer everything changes. This will be the summer Belly transforms from her younger, naive self to the new and improved 15 year-old girl Conrad will finally fall in love with. The Summer I Turned Pretty is told from the perspective of high-school student Belly as she falls headfirst into the sometimes crazy and anything but ordinary summer she finally turns pretty.
The Summer I Turned Pretty’s addictive plot and vivid characters left me lying awake at night, bringing it with me wherever I went, and wishing it would never end. With her infiltrating writing, Jenna Han illustrates a near flawless portrait of what it’s like to endure in the never-ending struggles and perks of being a teenage girl. I found myself in a world of my own as I was reading this novel, sinking down into the story, and thinking as if I was Belly herself. The Summer I Turned Pretty is full of dynamic, stock and static characters that will leave you finding pieces of yourself within them. At times, the plot is a little impractical, so I would recommend this novel to female readers of all ages that love romance and are in the mood for a light read. Both adult and teen readers will find themselves wishing they were Belly and falling into her shoes as she partakes in this summer of a lifetime. The Summer I Turned Pretty is a heart-wrenching and bittersweet novel filled with teenage love, family struggles, and realizing the importance of growing up. With all of its laughs, tears and smiles, The Summer I Turned Pretty will leave you wanting to raise a glass and cheers to the teenage years.

5 comments:

  1. I think this is an amazing book review! I really love your second paragraph, you used some great words that make the book seem so amazing and I want to read it! You described the book very well without any spoilers and I thought it was very good! Great job, Grace!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great book review as said by Jada, its not to random, it gives good ans specific details, but not enough to give anything away form the book, the only thing that I'm not a big fan off is your "sappy" ending, but it is a nice way to rap up a book, keep it up. And I have a question is it a girl book or is tit girl or gut book?
    GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace, first of all WOW!!!!!! Your book review is absolutely AMAZING! Great word choice, you really grabbed the reader in your critique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, to be honest I have never read a coming of age book about a 15 year old girl. Good description of the girl.She sounds intense and brooding. I really have picture in my mind of what she is like. It reminds me of all the romantic comedies my mom makes me watch with her. I have an older brother who chicks fawn over all summer long, so I can imagine how this ends! Good job on the review. It really give me an idea of what to expect in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked your word choice it very good, i also liked how you grabbed the readers attention in the first paragraph you can tell that you read this out many times because it flows very nicely

    ReplyDelete