Saturday, 3 November 2012

Book Review 3 - Looking for Alaska by John Green



Miles “Pudge” Halter, is a fifteen-year-old “good kid”. Up until now, Pudge has been going day by day without really living his life, and he is ready for that to change. With his love for last words, his favorite being those of French poet Francois Rabelais - “I go to seek a Great Perhaps”, Pudge moves to the sometimes unstable, highly erratic, and anything-but-ordinary life of Culver Creek Boarding School. He is setting off on a new journey, ready to find his own Great Perhaps. He quickly befriends his roommate and a few other classmates, including, most importantly, one Alaska Young. Alaska Young is the beautiful, eccentric, spontaneous, self-destructive, screwed-up, and endlessly fascinating girl down the hall that pulls Pudge headfirst into her world of pranks, smoking, good music, love and alcohol. Almost instantly, Pudge’s heart is stolen and his life is turned upside down.

         Looking For Alaska is a remarkable coming-of-age novel that dives into the never ending perks and struggles of being a teenager. It is a character-driven novel of such outstanding talent that will leave you finding pieces of yourself within Pudge and Alaska. Looking For Alaska changed my life completely, quite similar to how Alaska changed Pudge’s. I was picked up and dropped head first into the controversial lives of all the student’s lives at Culver Creek Boarding. I pictured myself lingering at their side as they walked down the dorm halls, sat at the smoking pit, and planned pranks at the swing set. With its penetrating writing and vivid, dynamic characters, Looking For Alaska will always be the book you compare every following book to. Personally, I would recommend this near flawless read to matured teens and young adult readers of both genders who are craving an addictive read you won’t be able to put down. Although it still stands as one of my all-time favourite reads, I did find some petite snippets of the novel to drag on and become a slight bore at times. Other than that, it was a near flawless read. Looking For Alaska is heart touching, eccentric, and will leave you speechless.

7 comments:

  1. Like your review. Only one thing... you say it's nearly flawless, but you didn't mention any flaws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace!

    I love your summary for the book review. It draws me in and the word choice is exquisite. I am certainly adding this onto my book list. Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your review, it was simply captivated and drew me. I loved the detail and how well you connected the book back to the real world. Amazing work!
    Kenna (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That was absolutely awesome! Your language was very well chosen and very effective in expressing your thoughts in an engaging way. I've wanted to read this book, and your review made me REALLY want to read it! Also, your review touched on the power of coming of age novels, and I found that to be truly powerful and it truly made me want to open up more to those kinds of novels. Thank you for such remarkable writing, Grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace! :) I see a bunch of comments here about how amazing your book review is, but there is no book review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your review wearing an invisibility cloak?

    ReplyDelete